In this episode, we answer a question from a listener and Sanctuary Collective member about money and how some churches, organizations, or congregations make their members feel guilty about giving small pledges or sometimes nothing at all.
We queered the text from 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24 which ties back to the listener question of having the ability to make choices. How? You’ll have to stay tuned to find out. This passage was also Brian’s touchstone Bible passage as he was starting to question his sexuality. More of that in this episode.
- Brian, Soul Safe workshop and queer holidays [0:40]
- Fr. Shay revisiting his old journals and the non-existent boundaries with parents [5:01]
- Listener question about giving money to the congregation [9:15]
- You SHOULD NOT be made feel guilty for giving $1/month [10:31]
- Generosity vs. insurance [11:25]
- Acts and sharing everything in common [13:37]
- Hard to be in the community [17:01]
- Queering the text: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24 [19:27]
- Brian searching “Is it okay to be gay?” and coming across this passage [20:21]
- How this passage was taught to us as kids [23:44]
- Figuring out to follow our calling [25:04]
- How this text reminds us of Jeremiah’s passage? [28:03]
Link mentioned in this post:
If you want to support the Patreon and help keep the podcast up and running, you can learn more and pledge your support at patreon.com/queertheology
If you’d like to be featured in future episodes, email your question or Bible passage suggestion to firstname.lastname@example.org
1 Thessalonians 5:16-24
Rejoice always. Pray continually. Give thanks in every situation because this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Don’t suppress the Spirit. Don’t brush off Spirit-inspired messages, but examine everything carefully and hang on to what is good. Avoid every kind of evil. Now, may the God of peace himself cause you to be completely dedicated to him; and may your spirit, soul, and body be kept intact and blameless at our Lord Jesus Christ’s coming. The one who is calling you is faithful and will do this.