In today’s episode, we answer a question from one of our listeners about figuring out ways to come out as Christian to their non-religious queer group or chosen family. “How do you ‘come out’ as Christian when you’re not even sure yourself about this Jesus guy, but you can’t seem to shake the faith off?”
We queered the text from Mark 1:21-28. We adore the book of Mark because of how straight-forward it is. Jesus, in this text, inspires people through his teachings. We love how Jesus is able to strike a chord with the people who were there to listen to him. This inspires us to be able to speak with authority and be able to reach out and touch the lives of more people.
- Brian and Fr. Shay’s January update [1:12]
- How can people transition during this weird time? [6:05]
- Listener question on coming out as a Christian to non-religious queer chosen family [9:01]
- What kind of conversation do you want to have with your chosen queer family? [10:12]
- Be clear: You talking about your faith is not your way of converting your friends [11:44]
- Queering the text: Mark 1:21-28 [15:49]
- Why do we love the gospel of Mark? [16:53]
- Where is our authority coming from and who is recognizing our authority? [18:04]
- How the text reminds Brian about conversations around LGBTQ lives [21:07]
Mentioned in the episode:
Faithful Sexuality Course registration is now open until February 5, 2021. Click here to register.
If you want to support the Patreon and help keep the podcast up and running, you can learn more and pledge your support at patreon.com/queertheology
If you’d like to be featured in future episodes, email your question or Bible passage suggestion to email@example.com
Jesus and his followers went into Capernaum. Immediately on the Sabbath Jesus entered the synagogue and started teaching. The people were amazed by his teaching, for he was teaching them with authority, not like the legal experts. Suddenly, there in the synagogue, a person with an evil spirit screamed, “What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are. You are the holy one from God.”
“Silence!” Jesus said, speaking harshly to the demon. “Come out of him!” The unclean spirit shook him and screamed, then it came out.
Everyone was shaken and questioned among themselves, “What’s this? A new teaching with authority! He even commands unclean spirits and they obey him!” Right away the news about him spread throughout the entire region of Galilee.