In today’s episode, we answered a question from a listener about the Rapture and how we feel about it. “Do you ever get freaked out by the Rapture? I heard that it basically starts next year and it freaks me out a lot. What are your beliefs on the Rapture?” Tune in to listen to our answer. We think a lot of you will be able to relate.
We also queered a text from 1 Peter that tells us that God is NOT some bully in heaven who wanted Jesus to suffer and die. It gives us reassurance that salvation comes through the resurrection.
- Brian and Fr. Shay’s life updates [0:47]
- “When you inevitably break the chain, don’t let more than a day go before picking up the chain again.” [6:06]
- If you feel like you can benefit from support or accountability, send us a DM and we can help you [9:40]
- Listener/reader question about the Rapture [10:58]
- Angst about the Rapture [13:15]
- How the rapture is a sign of manipulation [15:42]
- If your belief causes you fear and anxiety, who truly benefits it? [17:55]
- Queering the text: 1 Peter 3:18-22 [19:26]
- A lot of language about Jesus, suffering, and salvation [20:27]
- Jesus paid for ALL [22:32]
- Salvation comes through the resurrection [26:09]
Links mentioned in this episode:
If you want to support the Patreon and help keep the podcast up and running, you can learn more and pledge your support at patreon.com/queertheology
If you’d like to be featured in future episodes, email your question or Bible passage suggestion to email@example.com
1 Peter 3:18-22
Christ himself suffered on account of sins, once for all, the righteous one on behalf of the unrighteous. He did this in order to bring you into the presence of God. Christ was put to death as a human, but made alive by the Spirit. And it was by the Spirit that he went to preach to the spirits in prison. In the past, these spirits were disobedient—when God patiently waited during the time of Noah. Noah built an ark in which a few (that is, eight) lives were rescued through water. Baptism is like that. It saves you now—not because it removes dirt from your body but because it is the mark of a good conscience toward God. Your salvation comes through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who is at God’s right side. Now that he has gone into heaven, he rules over all angels, authorities, and powers.