This episode explores the difference between rules and ethics in the context of faith and spirituality. We share our personal experiences with rule-based perspectives and the anxiety and fear that can come with them. We discuss the presence of rules in both conservative and progressive spaces, highlighting the moral purity often found in the latter. This conversation emphasizes the importance of shifting from a rule-based perspective to one rooted in values and ethics. And we’re here to help you with all of that inside Soulful Sexuality!
- Rules and ethics can play a significant role in shaping our decisions and actions in matters of faith and spirituality.
- Both conservative and progressive spaces can have their own sets of rules, which can lead to anxiety and fear.
- Shifting from a rule-based perspective to one rooted in values and ethics allows for greater agency and personal growth.
- Living out our values and ethics from a place of abundance and joy can lead to liberation and a sense of enoughness.
00:00 Introduction: Difference between rules and ethics
01:26 Personal experiences with rules and ethics
06:15 Progressive spaces and rules
08:10 Fear and anxiety around rules
09:06 Shifting away from rule-based perspective
11:16 Living out values and ethics
17:13 Progressive spaces and moral purity
18:16 Religious and secular anxieties around rule following
22:46 Starting from a place of inclusion
25:02 Shifting from rules to ethics in community
29:08 Living out values from a place of abundance
30:18 Invitation to Soulful Sexuality
- Learn more and join Soulful Sexuality
- Join Spiritual Study Hall
- Join the Sanctuary Collective Community
If you want to support the Patreon and help keep the podcast up and running, you can learn more and pledge your support at patreon.com/queertheology.
Want to have your question featured on an episode? Call or text us at (240)200-0922