At Queer Theology we believe that there is more to “homosexuality and the Bible” than seven clobber passages. All issues of liberation are queer issues.
Prison abolition matters to queer people, after all:
- The prison industrial complex imprisons more black men today than were slaves in 1850. 1
- Since 1970, the US prison population has grown 700%. 2
- LGBTQ prisoners experience higher rates of assault while in prison.
- Transgender inmates are 17 times more likely to be sexually victimized.
- In 76 countries you can be imprisoned for being gay or transgender3.
If you want to learn more and get involved, check out the information below.
- Queer (In)Justice: The Criminalization of LGBT People in the United States by: Joey L. Mogul, Andrea J. Ritchie, Kay Whitlock
- Captive Genders: Trans Embodiment and the Prison Industrial Complex by Nat Smith and Eric A. Stanley
- Abolition Now!: Ten Years of Strategy and Struggle Against the Prison Industrial Complex by The CR10 Publications Collective